Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why a 1974 Trans Am?

Everyone has a favorite car. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I like Trans Ams. I am 42 years old now. I was 8 years old in the summer of 1977 when Burt Reynolds drove that shiny black and gold 1977 SE Trans Am out of snowman's trailer and into Hollywood stardom. I sat there with my draw jopped thinking. "one day I am going to have one of those". Ever since 2nd Gen Trans Am's have been number one on my list. The love for that black SE evolved into a passion for all the 2nd Gen Trans Am's. If money was no object, I would have one of every year 1970-1981 Trans Am's.

In the summer of 1986 I had saved up about $1200.00 for a Trans Am, my dad said he would add $1000.00 if I could find one that needed a little work that wasn't too bad. He called up a friend of his who was the sales manager at Lamar Pontiac in Macon, GA. He had sold my dad a 1964 GTO brand new in 1964. He told him his son was looking for a Trans Am and if he knew of one. He said he was considering selling his personal 1974 Trans Am. So off we went to look at it. He struck up a conversation with my dad and handed me the keys to it. I thought he was kidding at first, he was giving the keys to a admirality blue 455 Trans Am to a 17 year old kid. I didn't hesitate and off I went. It was the first Trans Am I ever drove. Although I was wanting a 77 or 78 Trans Am, I imediately fell in love with the round headlights and the flat rear glass which 74 was the last year that got that. After a brisk drive I returned back to my dad and his friend. I knew I wanted it, but I knew in my mind he would want more than I could afford.

He told my dad he would take $4000.00 for it, but it might as well been $4 million because I didn't have it, so off we went and all I could do was see it fade away in my rear view mirror. about 3 years later I found my 78 Trans Am which was a local car that came from Lamar Pontiac as well and I was happy, but in the back on my mind I always knew that one day I would like to have a 1974 Trans Am to restore.

Ironically enough, 16 years later I ran into the gentlemen that had the 74 at a car show and turned out he still has the 74 to this very day. I became friends with his son who is a huge Pontiac guy too, and this past May, We all met up and drove to The Ban One Show in Atlanta together. My 1978 Trans Am placed 2nd in Stock Class and that very same 74 Trans Am placed 3rd. I told him that if he ever sells it, let me have first shot at it, but that is neither here not there right now.

This is a photo of Buck Smith's 1974 Trans Am taken in 2011. This is the very first Trans Am I ever drove back in 1986.

1 comment:

  1. I can’t blame you for loving the 1974 Trans Am. It’s definitely one car that has a beauty that never fades. I also dreamed of owning it, but my dad bought another car that he thought suits my college days well. Anyway, it’s really good to know that in this day, one classic car like this is still in use. By the way, congratulations for placing 2nd! Hope to read more of your posts soon.

    Kyle Schmidt

    ReplyDelete